Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 2 In the Field

1 June 2010

Hey!

Stoke is great. It rains about every other day on the regular. We measure our efforts by Quality Gospel Conversations (QGCs) and weekly we try and reach a goal of about 70/16. A QGC consists of 3 things:1) a principle of the gospel 2) testimony 3) invitation. The rain slows that down some days because people don't like standing out there in the rain, but the ones that do make it a very worthwhile experience because they are the ones that have been really prepared! We did not do too bad last week which was a short week for me, but we are going to work on hitting well above that goal this week. The important thing to remember is that each number has people in front of it and it represents them. It is a sweet measuring tool. Today is a pretty busy day and we are bouncing all over the area which means...BUS CONTACTING-which I despise and do not feel comfortable doing haha BUT its a work in progress and we have already seen some success in doing it in the past couple of days.

James Wilkinson was baptised this weekend and confirmed. It was a great experience and funny as well. Elder Stringham turned on the water at about the right time, but whoever set the temperature for the boiler made it more like a hot tub than simply warm so when it was about time to start we cracked open the doors and steam just came billowing out and we had to open the windows and turn on ice cold water which ended up making a very minimal difference and James was beat red by the time he got out. =P

There are about 400-500 members in Stoke-On-Trent, but only about 75 active ones and the Priesthood is very small. We are called to baptise as missionaries, but we are frequently asked to help strengthen the ward which is our secondary duties to finding and preaching and baptising so we do it when we can. There are some great members striving to come back.

Mom, you asked about Elder Stringham. He is from South Jordan, Utah and is a great missionary. I have learned the meaning of walking with purpose because although I have about 5 inches on him in leg length, he flies past me everytime! Its crazy how fast he walks! Uphill, downhill, sideways, backwards, full speed, It doesn't matter haha.

There are some great people we have contacted and here are their names if you can simply give them some thoughts:

Carol-contacted yesterday and is reading the BoM and feels she is easily deceived so for reassurance...
Mark Walker-knows everything and just needs to commit to a date
Josh-Found him on the street while tracting and are meeting with him today. Confirmed our appointment over the phone =D
Vickie-Used a lot of drugs in the past and is 2 years clean but trying to find real purpose
Stew
Jeff
Michael Evans-We are teaching him the Plan of Salvation today and he is making great strides as well.
Pushpa-AMAZING lady who was raised Catholic and we met with her family minus her husband who was at work, so we sat with the front door open and I was right next to it while the rain was pouring down, anyways, Her daughter is 8 and named Silno, her son is 7 and named Christo, and her Sister's name who lives with her is Laly like lolli pop. I do not know her husbands name but we are teaching her again tonight (he will be there) and that lesson was so amazing, probably one of my favorites. I hope that she and her family can really come to know everything. Pray for her and Mark especially!

We are planning to have a baptismal service the 26th of June with a couple of these people =D and that is the date they will all hear. They all have more to their stories obviously, but to give some background-I hope you can feel as though you know them a little bit.

I will leave you with this- an excerpt from my journal from Fast and Testimony meeting in the last Sunday in the MTC:

22-23 May 2010
I am a Witness that Jesus is the Christ. I invite all men everywhere to repent and come unto him so that our children might know where to turn to repent.

Testimony meeting has begun with a special spirit. No one has yet got up to speak, but I feel God's Love. Recognizable friends will come often on my mission. Elder Schwalbe, a great elder, is fearless. This work is extremely important. More than anything else on this earth. His Work, His Way, by His Power. I have Faith in Jesus Christ & am reminded of the scripture that Faith can grow into a perfect knowledge & I can stand and know & testify of Jesus Christ & Joseph Smith & the Book of Mormon. The Power of the Holy Ghost is real. Comfort will come. Have no worries. God loves all of us & has restored his Kingdom once again through his prophets. President Thomas S. MOnson is a Prophet of God. Christ Lives and has paved the way for us to return to God through the Atonement & Resurrection. Everyone in the District was able to bear their Testimonies. I am thankful for the powerful witness the Holy Ghost has given us.

(Look up the Lands of Blackburn & Walton-Le-Dale)


I love you!
Elder Blackburn


I love you all very much! I want to hear from you! So write an email or a letter! It doesn't matter! Let me know what is going on in your lives! It helps me ease my mind so I can focus on the work the rest of the time!

I love you and hope to hear from you soon!
Elder Blackburn!

No comments:

Post a Comment