Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 3 In the Field

So the main email Skylar wrote to our family he asked to have kept within the family, but he also had time to write a nice email of thoughts on our father, who passed away 3 years ago 8 June 2010 (the day after he wrote this). It's not really about Skylar or the work he is doing in England, but there's still a wonderful lesson to learn from it. But I'll warn you: it's emotional...

7 June 2010

We all know it. It doesn't need to be said, but in honor of him we will talk about him in special memory as tomorrow is 3 years...It does not seem like 3 years sometimes, but on the other hand it seems like the way it is now is how it has been for a long time-to me.

As this time has come up the past 2 years-Logan was away and our family was all over the place. We find ourselves in a similar situation except you are all a little bit around at least =D. I have recorded some things while gone about Dad that haven't hit me as hard in the past when realized if I realized them at all...

I was sitting in a video devotional listening to Elder Bednar speak. I was sitting in the back of our room of about 40 missionaries taking notes. Elder Bednar told a story about a Stake Priesthood meeting in Iowa which was a large stake that covered about 3 Hours of travel one way. His son the same day was playing in a state championship basketball game at the same time. He was the Stake President and he saw a man who he knew whose son was playing on the other team. He had an impression to take that man and himself to the game and leave the session. He did. He felt guilty though because he thought he had rationalized going to the game. A couple months later that mans son passed away in a car crash and when President Bednar visited the man in the hospital all he could do was thank him for taking him to see that game...To see the last game his son had played in...

That made me bawl then...and I am sitting here in the Library crying right now...because I remember Dad.

----It was a C game and I had told him that morning when he was leaving for Chemotherapy that I had a game and would be home later thinking nothing of it. Like I said, it was a meaningless game. I rode the bus there and as we pulled into the parking lot in the pouring down rain I saw the Z. A mark that I have come to know from a mile away that 'Dad is here'. I was amazed at that time...already. I wasnt sure why or how, but he was sitting there in his navy jacket on the medal bleachers just enjoying the game.
I asked him after the game why he came and just said-I felt like I should come watch you play. You did great. Dad knew to come to Ben Davis. He had just had chemotherapy and was dying. He knew there would never be another chance to watch me play a game that I feel bonded he and I close together. It meant so much to me at the time even though it was just a C game to be able to recap the game with him. And I only just now realize that the spirit let him know that this game was the one he should come to. I love Dad very much. He was so supportive of all of us.

8 June 2007

Please remember as you go about your day tomorrow that Dad Loved us all very much and showed it to us with his nicknames that he would make up almost daily for all of us. He showed it by being there. He hugged us. His smile from his chair. The way he put us first in everything. I look around today and see dad's hanging out with their friends and what not and I am not saying that is a bad thing, but they hardly ever feel a desire to hang out with their kids. Dad loved us more than he loved himself. He put us before them and grew to be a spiritual giant that I cannot wait to be reunited with again.

In life-He taught us about life. In Death-He taught us about eternity.

I am out of time-My heart is with you today and tomorrow and any day you need it.

I love you all very much,

Elder Blackburn

No comments:

Post a Comment